Sisig is a Filipino dish with pig’s ears and pig’s face as main ingredients. It is seasoned with vinegar, calamansi juice and onion. It is usually served during celebrations and is one of the favorites of people who like spicy food because it is usually served with ‘sili’ or chili pepper.
It is my husband who taught me our home’s version of Sisig. He told me that he got the original recipe from his friend and revised it a little. Instead of pig’s ears and face he uses lean meat with little skin and pork fat (taba ng baboy) and Instead of boiling he uses the oven toaster to somewhat grill the meat. The first time he served it, everyone in our family loved it so it became a part of our regular menu.
I will share with you how we cook our Sisig. It is very easy and simple but it tastes almost as good as the usual recipe.
Let’s get started. Here are what you need for 3-4 servings of our delicious Sisig.
½ kilo of pork meat with fats
1 whole red onion
2 tbsp. of salt
2 tbsp. of soy sauce
2 tbsp. of powder black pepper
1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
1 cup of oil
2 green chili pepper (Siling haba in Fil) – Optional. Add if you want it spicy
Here is what you need to do.
- Slice pork into small pieces( about 1 inch long per piece). This is called Menudo cut in the Philippines.
- Wash pork. In a container add 2 cups of water and 2 tbsp. of salt. Soak the pork. Let it stand for 5 min. Ensure all pieces are soaked.
- Remove pork from water and put it in a strainer. Drain water thoroughly.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of pepper on the pork and mix.
- Pre heat oven toaster for 3 minutes.
- Cook pork in the oven toaster until most of them become light brown. Do not overcook.
- Put the pork in container and cover it. Place it in the freezer. Let it sit for at least 20 min.
- Meanwhile, mince onion. Put aside
- Extract calamansi juice filtering the seeds. Put Aside
- Remove the pork from the freezer and cut it further into smaller pieces.
- Heat a pan then add oil. Heat the oil for at least 3 min.
- Deep fry pork. Cook until pork is deep brown. Add oil as needed.
- Put the fried pork in a bowl. Add minced onion, calamansi juice , soy sauce & mayonnaise.
- Add 1 egg and mix well.
- Optional step. Add chopped green chili pepper and mix again.
- Serve on a plate.
That is how we cook Sisig at home. Simple and easy to follow. I hope you try and enjoy it. Till next post. Thanks for reading.
If you like this article please leave a comment and share it to others.
Your donation can keep us going. Minimal amount means a lot to us.
We promise to post more good-to-read and useful articles. Please visit our site regularly.